The Northern Territory news Thu 16 Jul 2020
The Northern Territory news; NewspaperNT
Community newspapers -- Northern Territory -- Darwin.; Australian newspapers -- Northern Territory -- Darwin.
News Corp Australia
Copyright. Made available by the publisher under licence.
News Corp Australia
32 SPORT THURSDAY JULY 16 2020 NTNE01Z01MA - V1 AS a team, Canberra spoke about last years decider for 10 minutes during pre-season before moving on to 2020, but for the likes of Charnze NicollKlokstad the pain wasnt so easy to leave behind. With Canberra gearing up for the grand-final rematch against the Sydney Roosters tonight, Nicoll-Klokstad has revealed how he dwelled on the 14-8 loss for months. It stuck with me for ages. For a long time I thought about it, Nicoll-Klokstad said. Id be going to sleep and Id be thinking I had a few key moments I could have done a bit better. If any Raider could be proud of their efforts in defeat it was Nicoll-Klokstad. He churned through more run metres (219), had more carries (21) and broke more tackles (eight) than any other player on the field. He was subbed off with 10 minutes to go because his body was cramping up and starting to shut down. There was nothing else he could have given and there couldnt be a Raiders fan alive who wasnt proud of him. But Nicoll-Klokstad, who fought his way to that grand final from the depths of NRL purgatory on sheer force of will, was consumed by two moments he felt cost his team dearly in the quest for the clubs first title in 25 years. There was the (Sam) Verrills try and the dropped ball at the end of the second half. I missed my job there, NicollKlokstad said. It cut me up a little bit. But Im over it now, but youll only ever get right over it when you win one. In the pre-season, the Raiders came together and watched bits of the game not the whole thing, that would be too much. Raiders star not blaming GF ref Wighton says Canberra had chances to win decider JAMIE PANDARAM RAIDERS star Jack Wighton has revealed he does not blame referee Ben Cummins controversial six again call for last years grand final defeat. Ahead of the rematch against premiers Sydney Roosters at the SCG tonight, Wighton said while he has refused to watch a replay of the 14-8 loss last October, hes not bitter about the match-defining decision. I see it with a different approach we had a lot more opportunities to win the game, we put ourselves in different positions to win elsewhere so we cant just blame that, Wighton said. Thats football. It happens to everyone. It cant be changed. There are many other calls that could have gone against us that got us to the grand final as well. Unfortunately, it was a call that went against us in the big dance. But it cant be changed. Cummins earned the ire of all non-Roosters fans when he made one of the most infamous blunders in grand final history, calling six again after the Raiders had kicked a bomb and regained possession, only to revert to last tackle seconds later with the score at 8-all with nine minutes remaining. Wighton was the Raiders player who went to ground, resulting in a turnover to the Roosters, and signalled furiously about having seen Cummins six again call. Moments later, James Tedesco scored the matchwinning try at the other end of the field. Ive avoided watching the replay altogether, theres no need to watch it, I was there, Wighton said. Wighton won the Clive Churchill Medal in the loss, and after signing a $3 million, four-year contract extension with the Raiders earlier this year is desperate to deliver the title to the club he debuted for in 2012. Raiders star Jack Wighton said he has avoided a replay of last years controversial NRL Grand Final ahead of tonights rematch against the Roosters. Picture: MATT KING/GETTY Processing defeat hard for Charnze NICK CAMPTON *Entries open at 9.00am AEST on 6 July, 2020 and close 11:59pm AEST 3 August, 2020. Australian residents only. Limited to one entry per eligible +Rewards member. Winners determined on 4 August, 2020 at 11.00am AEST at Nationwide News Pty Ltd, 2 Holt Street, Surry Hills, NSW 2010. Entries with PO.BOX addresses are invalid entries. Winners names to be published on 11 August, 2020 on the +Rewards website. Total prize pool valued at $1,979.40. 60 x copies of The Silent Wife by Karin Slaughter to be won nationally by eligible +Rewards members from The Daily Telegraph, Herald Sun, The Courier-Mail, The Advertiser, The Mercury, NT News, Geelong Advertiser, Gold Coast Bulletin, Cairns Post, The Weekly Times and Townsville Bulletin. NSW Permit No. LTPM/19/05201. Full terms and conditions available at plusrewards.com.au Conditions apply* Win a copy of The Silent Wife by Karin Slaughter. A young woman is brutally attacked and left for dead. The police investigate but the trail goes cold. Dont miss this great read by Karin Slaughter, one of the best thriller writers today! We have 60 books to give away, enter now for a chance to win. Rewards Members can enter at ntnews.com.au/rewards NT~News + Rewards
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are advised that this website may contain the names, voices and images of people who have died, as well as other culturally sensitive content. Please be aware that some collection items may use outdated phrases or words which reflect the attitude of the creator at the time, and are now considered offensive.
We use temporary cookies on this site to provide functionality.
You are welcome to provide further information or feedback about this item by emailing TerritoryStories@nt.gov.au