The Northern Territory news Wed 4 Nov 2020
The Northern Territory news; NewspaperNT
Community newspapers -- Northern Territory -- Darwin.; Australian newspapers -- Northern Territory -- Darwin.
News Corp Australia
Copyright. Made available by the publisher under licence.
News Corp Australia
WEDNESDAY NOVEMBER 4 2020 NEWS 07 V1 - NTNE01Z01MA Australian Army Private Joseph Wiafe prepares for the upcoming Remembrance Day soccer game. Picture: Australian Defence Force TOP END troops will take on the Territorys best in a Remembrance Day soccer clash. The games are part of activities on November 10, ahead of Remembrance Day on November 11, and will be held at Darwin Football Stadium, Marrara. Lieutenant Anita Price said the games celebrated camaraderie within the community. The Australian spirit really started from World War I with teamwork and putting in for those around you, she said. In todays society, while were not on operation, sport is the best way to do that, to build that team. It doesnt matter if you serve, if youve never served or dont know anyone who has come along, support your country. The womens match kicksoff at 6.30pm followed by the mens game at 8.30pm. RAPHAELLA SAROUKOS FRIENDLY FIRE ON THE PITCH Big run on vouchers Keen Territorians crash website MORE than 26,700 Territorians keen to land a $200 tourism voucher visited the Tourism NT website in the first hour forcing the site to crash. A message on the site said: Hold tight well be right back. Were sorry, the Territory Tourism Voucher website is currently experiencing high demand. Were working on it, so please check back soon. The website was still down four hours later for the majori ty of users, and all of the available 12,000 vouchers had already been allocated by 4.38am on Tuesday. Tourism NT executive general manager marketing Tony Quarmby said the amount of traffic on the website on Monday night was almost 10 times what they saw during round one in July. This level of traffic to the website caused extended wait times for people registering, he said. Technicians are still investigating further. In total there were 71,481 unique views to the website from 8pm when registrations went live until 6am the next day. At the busiest point recorded, there were at least 8256 people on the website at one time. The voucher website had caching enabled, which meant that traffic from popular sources, like the link on Chief Minister Michael Gunners Facebook post, were served faster. The vouchers are worth up to $200, matched dollar for dollar with personal spend, and can be put towards a tourism experience like tours, accommodation, hire cars or recreational fishing charters. This round Territorians also have the option of applying for an additional bonus claim, which is a reimbursement of up to $200 based on a dollar for dollar investment when the product you book is more than 400km from your permanent residence. Successful registrations should receive their voucher code within seven days. Once you receive your voucher, you will have 14 days to make your booking and will need to travel before January 31, 2021. NATASHA EMECK A POLICE officer was kicked in the chest following a number of incidents at Lasseters Casino in Alice Springs. Southern Watch Commander Adrian Kidney said about 11.30pm on Monday police were called to a break-in at the casino. The offender has entered through an unsecured balcony door and stolen a handbag containing a wallet and car keys, he said. A vehicle was allegedly stolen, and later seen by police being driven through the CBD multiple times. Police pursued the vehicle twice but stopped due to the offenders erratic driving. The vehicle was still missing. Senior Sergeant Kidney said about 2.30am on Tuesday police were called to the casino again where a patron had allegedly assaulted a worker. The man was arrested and still aggressive after arriving at the watch house. The man will be charged with assault of the worker and assault of the officer, with bail considered. Casino is keeping cops busy RAPHAELLA SAROUKOS Razing of RSL begins SCAFFOLDING has gone up around the old Darwin RSL on Cavenagh Street as workers prepare to finally pull down the fire-damaged building. The Darwin RSL building has been left virtually untouched since it was cleared out after a fire destroyed it in mid-2018. Workers cordoned off the front area of the building on Tuesday and began to put up scaffolding as crews prepare to pull down the burnt building before cyclone season begins. | darwinairport.com.au Say goodbye properly.... & a free Coffee $8 for 2 hours parking darwinairport.com.au * T&Cs apply