Territory Stories

The Northern Territory news Mon 25 Jan 2021

Details:

Title

The Northern Territory news Mon 25 Jan 2021

Other title

NT news

Collection

The Northern Territory news; NewspaperNT

Date

2021-01-25

Language

English

Subject

Community newspapers -- Northern Territory -- Darwin.; Australian newspapers -- Northern Territory -- Darwin.

Publisher name

News Corp Australia

Place of publication

Darwin

File type

application/pdf

Use

Copyright. Made available by the publisher under licence.

Copyright owner

News Corp Australia

License

https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/C2019C00042

Parent handle

https://hdl.handle.net/10070/823248

Citation address

https://hdl.handle.net/10070/823644

Page content

10 NEWS MONDAY JANUARY 25 2021 NTNE01Z01MA - V1 Two men drown off Victoria coast TWO men have drowned in separate tragedies off Victorias iconic Surf Coast over the weekend. A 58-year-old man drowned after his small boat capsized off Anglesea, 114km southwest of Melbourne, after 2pm on Saturday. Lifesavers found him in the water after another man on board the boat managed to swim to shore and raise the alarm. They were unable to revive him and he died at the scene, police said. About three hours later, a 56year-old man died after he was pulled from the water at Thirteenth Beach in Barwon Heads. He was swimming with two others when the group got into difficulty about 5pm. A helicopter winched the man out of the water while a boy and girl were helped to shore, police said. Emergency workers performed CPR at the beach but he died at the scene. Our hearts go out to this mans family and friends. We are grateful that two people could be rescued in this incident, Life Saving Victoria state agency commander Liam Krige said on the day. CAROLINE SCHELLE Thirteenth Beach. HUMAN REMAINS FOUND MORE human remains linked to a mans death more than a year ago have been found at a property in Geelongs suburbs. The remains were found at the Marnoo Court property at Norlane on Saturday, and are related to a 2019 death, Victoria Police said The remains were identified as a 26-year-old Norlane man, police said at the time. It is not clear how the latest remains were uncovered or what was found, but they were taken to the coroners officer to be examined. The human remains were first found in September 2019 when a nearby resident was digging up his property. The investigation remains ongoing. JOSH Frydenberg has hit out at Google, saying the tech giant was doing itself a big disservice by threatening to remove the Australia publics access to Google Search. His comments come after Google and Facebook fronted a senate inquiry on Friday into the federal governments proposed media reforms, which would see the digital giants pay news outlets for content on their platforms. In response, Google threatened to remove its search function if the legislation passed, which was immediately met with criticism. On Sunday, the Treasurer said the threat did not serve Google well. It seems the digital giants did themselves a big disservice last week when they very openly and publicly threatened the A u s t r a l i a n public with pulling out of Australia if legislation proceeds as it currently stands, Mr Frydenberg (pictured) said. My view is that it is inevitable that the digital giants will be paying for original content. Mr Frydenberg said the federal government and the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission would deliver on a code that would see Google and Facebook pay for Australian news. We are now in a position to implement a world-leading code, one that is fair, taking into account mutual value exchange, the benefit to digital giants as well as the benefit to traditional media businesses, and we think it is a fair outcome, he said. Google claims the legislation will make its Google search unviable, despite paying just $59m in corporate tax last year, while reporting revenues of more than $4bn. Treasurer hits out at Google threats ELLEN RANSLEY NT doctor vies for prestigious award A YEAR to the day since Australias first COVID-19 case, the man charged with leading our response to the pandemic will learn if he is the next Australian of the Year. Professor Brendan Murphy says he would have laughed if someone had told him that at the start of the coronavirus crisis. I was the guy in the job at the time, and I did what I could to bring together the best experts, the former federal chief medical officer said. While Professor Murphy is humble, those within government are far more direct: they believe his leadership saved hundreds if not thousands of lives. Professor Murphy is the ACTs nomination for Australian of the Year, to be presented tonight, although he lived and worked in Melbourne until he was chosen as the nations public health chief in late 2016. In that role, he spearheaded the nations medical expert panel, advising governments to close the overseas border, ban mass gather ings, implement testing and tracing regimes and enforce social distancing. Almost overnight, the veteran health bureaucrat had to contend with being recognised in the street by strangers, as he became the public face of Australias coronavirus response. Professor Murphy will face tough competition from the Northern Territorys state recipient and global expert in Aboriginal health, Wendy Page. For more than 30 years, Nhulunbuy-based Dr Page has dedicated her life to im proving health and wellbeing in Indigenous communities in North East Arnhem Land. Her efforts have helped highlight and eliminate a parasitic roundworm prevalent in these communities, by setting up the first national workshop for strongyloidiasis, reducing its prevalence from 60 per cent to below 10 per cent. Her published papers have made her work and her story recognised around the world, while her leadership has led her to mentor young doctors, taking on a role as lead supervisor in Nhulunbuy and as an examiner in Darwin. The Northern Territorys other nominees for Australian of the Year include Senior Australian of the Year Dr Miriam-Rose Ungunmerr Baumann for her work as an Aboriginal activist, educator and artist; Young Australian of the Year Stuart McGrath, who upon graduating will become the first Yolngu registered nurse; and Local Hero Sergeant Erica Gibson for her work as a police officer and safer communities advocate, who is making the Northern Territory a safer place for women. Former Chief Medical Officer Professor Brendan Murphy and Nhulunbuy-based Dr Wendy Page are vying for Australian of the Year tonight. E XC LU S I V E TOM MINEAR AND WILL ZWAR


Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are advised that this website may contain the names, voices and images of people who have died, as well as other culturally sensitive content. Please be aware that some collection items may use outdated phrases or words which reflect the attitude of the creator at the time, and are now considered offensive.

We use temporary cookies on this site to provide functionality.
By continuing to use this site without changing your settings, you consent to our use of cookies.