Sunday Territorian 7 Mar 2021
Sunday Territorian; NewspaperNT
Community newspapers -- Northern Territory -- Darwin.; Australian newspapers -- Northern Territory -- Darwin.
News Corp Australia
Copyright. Made available by the publisher under licence.
News Corp Australia
22 NEWS SUNDAY MARCH 7 2021 NTNE01Z01MA - V1 St John NT paramedic Gabriella Edwards (left) was on hand to assist CDU paramedicine student Laanie Wright with her studies. Picture: Supplied THE next generation of Northern Territory paramedics have begun studying at Charles Darwin University this week, with 36 paramedicine students aiming to hit the local workforce within three years. Almost 70 per cent of students enrolled in the Bachelor of Paramedicine course are Territory residents, with more than 10 per cent of enrolments identifying as Indigenous. Many of the students have come from a variety of regional NT towns including Katherine, Oenpelli and Jabiru. Student Laanie Wright was excited to be part of the first paramedicine course in the NT. Ive always wanted to get into paramedicine and when I moved up to Darwin last year to be closer to my parents, I saw CDU advertise the course and it seemed like perfect timing, she said. I cant wait to learn about being a paramedic in the NT, which I think will contain unique challenges compared to other environments down south. GENERATION OF HOMEGROWN PARAMEDICS at about $680m. Figures released to News Corp show, across the nation, 88,264 had already applied by February 26, this would account for more than $2.075bn in grants if all successful. Those who applied for a grant last year will receive $25,000, while those who applied this year will get $15,000 provided they meet strict criteria relating to income, the value of works completed and commence construction within six months of signing a building contract. But volume home builder Burbank Group revealed delays to timber, steel, stone and tiles being shipped from overseas could combine with a tradie shortage to cost some applicants the government funds they were relying on. Managing director Jarrod Sanfilippo said extending the construction window would address the issue, without increasing applications. It would just ensure that everyone who signed up for the grant receives it, he said. Federal Housing Minister Michael Sukkar said the government expected application numbers to rise, and noted the government will continue to work with the sector to maximise the economic impact of this highly effective program. We look forward to building upon the more than 88,000 applications already received, which means more work for our tradies, Mr Sukkar said. Asked if the blowout would impact other programs or the budget, Mr Sukkar said: HomeBuilder is a demand driven program and its cost will be reconciled in the normal manner in the May budget. Housing Industry Association chief economist Tim Reardon said there would be a surge in applications late this month as builders and homebuyers had delayed signing contracts to give themselves to the end of September to commence construction. I would imagine by the end of March it will have exceeded Bracing for build boom THERE have been just 330 HomeBuilder grant applications in the Northern Territory so far this year, despite this the federal government is bracing to shell out more than $2bn in grants with applications numbers potentially set to top 100,000 by the end of March. At its launch in June the government had anticipated 27,000 Australian households would access a grant, and budgeted the uncapped program NATHAN MAWBY FORMER Prime Minister Tony Abbott (below) is being mooted as a replacement for Kerry Stokes when the Perth billionaires term as chairman of the Australian War Memorial expires later this year. Mr Stokes, a noted philanthropist and supporter of veterans and their families, has been on the War Memorials council in Canberra since 2007, becoming chairman in November 2015. His term was due to expire last year, but was extended for 12 months, with the government wanting to ensure continuity after then-director Brendan Nelson decided to retire. Mr Stokes term now expires on July 31 and Mr Abbott, who joined the War Memorials council in 2019 to replace historian and journalist Les Carlyon, is being considered as a replacement. No comment could be obtained from Mr Abbott. Abbott in line for new role ELLEN WHINNETT 100,000 applications, Mr Reardon said. A similar late surge occurred in December, before the $25,000 grant was swapped for a $15,000 one on January 1. Nationwide, there were 75,143 applications by December 31, meaning up to $1.878bn in $25,000 grants could be paid. If applications top 100,000 it could add a further 25,000 payments of $15,000 to the federal credit card, about $375m, though at present the figure is $196.8m. Government expectations of surge in HomeBuilder grant applications LIFE LOST IN CAR PILEUP ONE person has been killed and three others injured after a shocking multi-vehicle crash on a NSW highway, which left all four victims trapped in the car. The female driver, 47, was pronounced dead at the Princes Highway scene while her passengers, two boys aged 5 and 10, were injured and a 15year-old girl is fighting for life in hospital. Emergency crews were called to the multi-vehicle smash on the southbound lane of the M1, near the Masters Road off-ramp just after 7pm on Friday. Police said a blue Holden Statesman sedan and a Nissan Juke, both travelling south, collided on the road before the Statesman hit a median strip and smashed into a tree, trapping all four occupants. GENDERED HEART CARE HOW you are treated for coronary heart disease may be dictated by your gender after a groundbreaking study identified the key genes that contribute to heart attack are different in men and women. The international study, in collaboration with Australias The Victor Chang Cardiac Research Institute, compared hundreds of male and female patients with coronary heart disease the leading cause of heart attack. Institute executive director, Jason Kovacic, said the breakthrough pinpointed major molecular and genetic differences. In the walls of the blood vessels going to the heart, at the cellular level there are fundamental differences between men and women, Professor Kovacic said. ACCUSED OF RAM RAIDS A DUO have been nabbed for allegedly ram raiding highend boutiques, including a Dior store in Melbourne. A 49-year-old Kensington man and a 43-year-old Essendon man were arrested and charged with burglary and offences against the bail act on Saturday. The pair were arrested after raids at properties at Kensington, Essendon, Ar deer and Princess Hill where police allegedly seized a significant amount of designer clothing and accessories. A black Honda SUV was also seized and is set to be examined, Victoria Police said. The charges relate to raids at seven businesses in two months, including Collins Street luxury retailers Dior on March 1 and Bottega Veneta on February 24.