The Northern Territory news Tue 16 Mar 2021
The Northern Territory news; NewspaperNT
Community newspapers -- Northern Territory -- Darwin.; Australian newspapers -- Northern Territory -- Darwin.
News Corp Australia
Copyright. Made available by the publisher under licence.
News Corp Australia
SECRET P LICE Tuesday, March 16, 2021 Incl GST$2.20 Country freight 30 cents extra Feds, NT govt play vaccine blame game A BLAME game between the commonwealth and the NT government has erupted over the delayed arrival of the AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine in the Territory. Chief Minister Michael Gunner had repeatedly said the NT was meant to receive an initial shipment of about 1400 doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine on Friday, March 12 but the package never arrived. The federal health department confirmed the NT was allocated 1400 doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine as part of the divvy-up to all states and territories at the end of February. But it is adamant the NT, unlike other jurisdictions, had not received a shipment of AstraZeneca vaccines because the NT never gave the commonwealth an address to send the doses to. The NT government has rejected claims it forgot to place an order. P6: FULL STORY MADURA MCCORMACK Finke impact from hotel quarantine FINKE Desert Race competitors and spectators have had their accommodation cancelled due to the NT government extending its hotel quarantine contract with Alice Springs Mercure hotel. Finke competitor Dean Miller said he had four rooms booked for 12 nights that had been cancelled due to the contract extension. Very poor management on their behalf. And no other accommodation available. The Finke committee only recently became aware some would-be attendees were having problems book ing accommodation after a few people vented their frustrations in a private Facebook group. The spokeswoman said the Finke committee would work with other stakeholders, including Tourism Central Australia, to help solve any accommodation issues. P24: FULL STORY DANIEL WOOD TERRITORY police took four days to inform the public about a heinous incident where a threeyear-old boy was allegedly raped by a stranger in the front yard of his Darwin home. Police issued a statement at 10.36am yesterday, acknowledging the incident had occurred in Karama on Thursday evening after a member of the public witnessed the incident. In 2018, police also did not publicly report the rape of a twoyear-old girl in Tennant Creek. The latest incident comes on the back of police refusing to answer specific questions around the cocaine sex scandal and the sudden resignation of assistant commissioner Michael Hebb. P4-5: FULL COVERAGE P28: EDITORIAL NATASHA EMECK A three-year-old boy was allegedly raped by a stranger in the front yard of his own home in Darwin on Thursday evening. Police did not inform the public of the alleged heinous incident for four days. It is the latest in a series of cases where our top brass have deliberately kept you in the dark. centralianadvocate.com.au