Territory Stories

The Northern Territory news Fri 13 Aug 2021

Details:

Title

The Northern Territory news Fri 13 Aug 2021

Other title

NT news

Collection

The Northern Territory news; NewspaperNT

Date

2021-08-13

Language

English

Subject

Community newspapers -- Northern Territory -- Darwin.; Australian newspapers -- Northern Territory -- Darwin.

Publisher name

News Corp Australia

Place of publication

Darwin

File type

application/pdf

Use

Copyright. Made available by the publisher under licence.

Copyright owner

News Corp Australia

License

https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/C2019C00042

Parent handle

https://hdl.handle.net/10070/846513

Citation address

https://hdl.handle.net/10070/846580

Page content

FRIDAY AUGUST 13 2021 SPORT 39 V1 - NTNE01Z01MA Winger Marika Koroibete has been recalled for the Wallabies rematch with New Zealand. Picture: Getty Images WALLABY bad boy Marika Koroibetes booze ban has lasted just a week with the superstar winger recalled for Saturdays Bledisloe Cup rematch with the All Blacks at Eden Park. Jordan Petaia has made way for Koroibete, one of three players stood down from last weeks game for drinking alcohol in their hotel room, and has been omitted from the 23 altogether. Andrew Kellaway, who scored his maiden test try last week, has held his spot on the other wing. Wallabies coach Dave Rennie has also backed his young halves combination of Tate McDermott and Noah Lolesio while recalling Lachlan Swinton, nine months after being sent off on debut against the Kiwis. Lolesio had a horror kicking night, converting just one of four tries last weekend and missing three of four penalties as well. Veteran Matt Toomua has been elevated to inside centre for the must-win match at Eden Park, while Matt Philip starts in the second row. Halfback Nic White is also set for his first appearance for the Wallabies in 2021 after recovering from a knee injury. The Wallabies are out to end a 35-year losing streak at Eden Park and build on three late tries that resulted in a 33-25 opening defeat at the same venue last week. Eden Park is a place that most teams fear, but were excited to get another crack, Rennie said. To beat New Zealand, you have to win the collisions and be clinical. RUSSELL GOULD BAD BOY KOROIBETE OUT OF SIN BIN SOUTH Australian Premier Steven Marshall has fired back after the Australian Olympic Committee criticised the government for its cruel and uncaring decision to force returning Olympians into an extra 14 days of quarantine. Sixteen athletes from South Australia are completing their initial 14-day hotel quarantine in Sydney after flying back to NSW from Tokyo, but with the SA governments proposal, theyd be locked up for another fortnight in their home state. Marshall said it was unfortunate for the athletes but the rules were in place for a good reason. Its devastating for people who have already done 14 days, Marshall said on Thursday. It is a tough decision but we have got to take tough decisions to protect South Australia. This is a tough rule but were going to keep it in place in this instance. It is very very tough and we feel for these athletes. But every person coming in from Sydney at the moment is required to do 14 days of quarantine. Marshalls response comes a day after AOC CEO Matt Carroll said the SA governments decision to extend quarantine was punishment for the athletes who represented Australia in Tokyo. While other countries are celebrating the return of their athletes, we are subjecting ours to the most cruel and uncaring treatment. They are being punished for proudly representing their country with distinction at the Olympic Games, Carroll said on Wednesday. Not only are our Olympians fully vaccinated, but they have also been living in a highly controlled bubble in Tokyo, taking the upmost precautions tested daily over many weeks. Australian Institute of Sports chief medical officer Dr David Hughes was concerned over the toll an extra quarantine would have on the athletes physical and mental health. To have individuals quarantined for such a lengthy period of time is in my opinion unreasonable and cannot be scientifically justified, Hughes said. It poses a significant risk to the physical and mental wellbeing of the individuals concerned. National cabinet took a position that a double quarantine arrangement was unacceptable. Every Covid-safe procedure we have asked the Olympians to undergo, they have complied with. Athletes subject to home quarantine will not be permitted a welcome-home hug. Either the athletes family must move away, the athlete must find a way of isolating from the family or the entire family goes into quarantine. That is not an acceptable option for someone who is fully vaccinated and who has already just completed two weeks quarantine. SA wins gold for double downer ALEX CONRAD Steven Marshall. HANDLING OF VIRUS KEEPS SCOTT AT BAY AUSTRALIA is going backwards in dealing with Covid-19, making it unlikely that former world No.1 Adam Scott will return home for this years national championship. Scott, who tested positive to coronavirus last year, has bounced around Europe and the US in 2021 trying to play, spending multiple weeks away from his family and enduring different quarantine restric tions, including those in Australia, which he called very frustrating. A perennial supporter of the Australian tour, Scott said it was unlikely he would be coming home any time soon, which could mean missing the Australian Open scheduled for the last weekend of November in Sydney. The Open and Australian PGA had to be abandoned last year because of Covid-19. Australias having a lot of issues at the moment because of their kind of policies toward the virus and thats very frustrating, Scott said ahead of returning to play at the Wyndham Championship in North Carolina. He said the US and the UK were learning how to live with the virus but he found it frustrating that Australia is maybe lagging behind at the moment. Australias kind of going backwards a little bit, he said. KEPA Arrizabalaga was the unlikely hero as Chelsea beat Villarreal 6-5 on penalties after a 1-1 draw to win the UEFA Super Cup in Belfast. The Spaniard, who has lost his place as No.1 since joining the club for a world record fee for a goalkeeper in 2018, was introduced late in extra-time as a substitute for the shootout by Thomas Tuchel. Kepa famously refused to be replaced by former Chelsea boss Maurizio Sarri in a League Cup final defeat to Manchester City two years ago. But this time he rewarded his managers faith with saves from Aissa Mandi and Raul Albiol. It was not spontaneous, said Tuchel who explained the plan had been hatched in the FA Cup last season. We talked about it with the goalkeepers after the first cup game against Barnsley. Kepa has the best percentage at saving penalties, the analysing guys and goalkeeping coaches showed me the data. We spoke to the players that this could happen when we play in knockout games. Its fantastic how Edouard (Mendy) accepted it. There is proof that Kepa is better in this discipline. Theyre team players. Edouard does not show the pride to not step off the field. Goalie sub turns Chelsea heroRUSSELL GOULD


Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are advised that this website may contain the names, voices and images of people who have died, as well as other culturally sensitive content. Please be aware that some collection items may use outdated phrases or words which reflect the attitude of the creator at the time, and are now considered offensive.

We use temporary cookies on this site to provide functionality.
By continuing to use this site without changing your settings, you consent to our use of cookies.