The Northern Territory news Sat 4 Sep 2021
The Northern Territory news; NewspaperNT
Community newspapers -- Northern Territory -- Darwin.; Australian newspapers -- Northern Territory -- Darwin.
News Corp Australia
Copyright. Made available by the publisher under licence.
News Corp Australia
SATURDAY SEPTEMBER 4 2021 NEWS 09 V1 - NTNE01Z01MA SITZLER TO BE NEW CHAIR CONSTRUCTION kingpin Michael Sitzler, director of the eponymous building company, has been announced as the next chairperson of the Alice Springs Major Business Group (ASMBG). Mr Sitzler, who has been a member of ASMBG since 2019 and is a current member of the Darwin Major Business Group, will work with representatives of some of Central Australias biggest businesses to have a voice in working with government on issues that are important to the prosperity of the region. Mr Sitzler replaces inaugural chairperson Dave Batic. As chairperson of ASMBG, together with my colleagues, we will continue to work with all levels of government and the business community towards the ongoing prosperity of Alice Springs and Central Australia, Mr Sitzler said. Youth ambassador entries open INSPIRING young Territorians are being urged to apply to become the 2022 Northern Territory Youth Week ambassadors. NT Youth Week runs between April 4 and 14, 2022, with applicants required to be between 16 and 25 years old. The government has put the call out for two ambassadors, with applications to close by October 3. The pair will help represent youths and their region during Youth Week, be a media spokesperson, and help contribute to the campaign. Territory Families, Housing and Communities chief executive Ken Davies said Youth Week was an important time to hear the ideas and concerns of young people in the Territory. We value the insight of our NT Youth Week Ambassadors, who provide necessary perspective to organise the weeks events and ac tivities, Mr Davies said. Young Territorians are significant to our community. NT Youth Week is a fantastic opportunity to celebrate our future leaders. Youth Week 2021 ambassador Sunny Liu said her experience with the program exposed her to a wide range of talent, creativity, ability and potential of young people in the Territory. For information and to apply, visit: youth.nt.gov.au THOMAS MORGAN Michael Sitzler. Pic of Kris as Lecter not going in his fava AN image has emerged of the CLPs candidate for Daly Kris Civitarese dressed up as notorious fictional serial killer Hannibal Lecter but the party has seemingly taken the costume choice in its stride. One week out from the polls closing in the regional electorate, the NT News has obtained the photo that was taken of the former Barkly Regional councillor in May 2010. It shows Mr Civitarese donning the famous mask of Dr Lecter, as portrayed by Anthony Hopkins in Silence of the Lambs (1988). Mr Civitarese did not reply directly to a request for comment but CLP executive officer Joel Willingale said the outfit was donned for a birthday party in Queensland. The party was a movie character-themed party and Kris attended as Hannibal Lecter, Mr Willingale said. The costume pieces came from dress-up shops. Mr Willingale said the outfit was well received and Mr Civitarese had a good time. Kris reports that everyone who went along also came dressed up as characters and a fun night was had by all, he said. It comes as the campaigning for the seat of Daly enters its final week, with polls closing next Saturday. The snap poll was called after the resignation of incumbent CLP MLA Ian Sloan, who cited health reasons for decid ing to step away from politics after just a year in the job. Mr Civitarese is not the only candidate whose past has been dragged back into the public arena during the campaign for Daly. Earlier this month, CLP MLA Josh Burgoyne revealed Labors candidate Dheran Young was the staffer with whom hed had a verbal altercation. Mr Young acknowledged the incident but denied using expletives in the exchange. THOMAS MORGAN Kris Civitarese as Dr Lecter. Rachel Attley ready to party as Shenannigans is turning 25 years old. Picture: Julianne Osborne SHENANNIGANS is celebrating its 25th birthday with all things Irish on Saturday night. Affectionately known as Shags, the Irish pub is planning a big night to celebrate its 25 laps around the sun. Shags venue manager Carly Balding said the party would go all day and night. Its a celebration of a pub that has stood the test of time, Ms Balding said. For a lot of people it is a home away from home. Most people in Darwin could share a Shags story or two. Old fashioned Irish breakfast (including black pudding) and also beef and Guinness pies are just some of the Irish delicacies on offer. Irish dancing, Guinness drink specials and a fishing charter giveaway raffle will be on the agenda for the night too. Ms Balding would like to remind NT News readers that the pub will not run out of beer like it did on its opening night 25 years ago. Come and make some memories with us, everyone is invited, she said. FLOSS ADAMS SHAGS STILL BRINGING THE PARTY AT 25 YEARS A WOMAN has been stabbed in the George Brown Darwin Botanic Gardens and a man has been charged over the alleged incident. About 5pm on Wednesday, police received a report that a woman had been stabbed in a carpark near Evas Cafe in the botanic gardens. The woman was taken to the Royal Darwin Hospital where she remains in a stable condition. A 34-year-old man, who is known to the victim, has been arrested and is currently in police custody. He has been charged with unlawfully causing serious harm, aggravated assault, and possessing/carrying/using a controlled weapon. He appeared before the Darwin Local Court on Friday. Police are urging anyone with information to contact police on 131 444 and quote reference No.9780866. Woman stabbed in Gardens PHILLIPPA BUTT FOUR youths have been arrested in relation to an alleged crime spree in Darwin. Police allege that between August 26 and September 1, the youths, aged between 13 and 15, were involved in multiple incidents of aggravated robbery, stealing and damage to property. Strike Force Trident detectives and the Dog Operations Unit arrested the youths at different locations in the northern suburbs on Thursday and they were taken to the Palmerston Watch House. They were charged with multiple offences, with 31 charges laid in total. They were remanded to appear in court on Friday. Detective Acting Senior Sergeant Mark Bland said police had worked hard to find the youths. The behaviour of these youths is despicable and frankly concerning. They were involved in a number of unprovoked violent aggravated robberies, leaving the victims traumatised, he said. Four teens charged over spree JUDITH AISTHORPE