Sunday Territorian 7 Nov 2021
Sunday Territorian; NewspaperNT
Community newspapers -- Northern Territory -- Darwin.; Australian newspapers -- Northern Territory -- Darwin.
News Corp Australia
Copyright. Made available by the publisher under licence.
News Corp Australia
06 NEWS SUNDAY NOVEMBER 7 2021 NTNE01Z01MA - V1 A MAN who allegedly failed to stop at multiple police road blocks crashed his white ute south of Katherine on Saturday about midday. NT Police say the 46-year-old man was getting medical treatment in Katherine Hospital after receiving minor injuries from the crash. Superintendent Peter Dash said several public health breaches and traffic offences had been identified during the incident. Which is also being treated as a custody incident, he said. We are investigating the circumstances, however we can say that Northern Territory Police will continue to enforce the chief health officers directions. Shortly before 1am on Saturday, the man failed to stop at the Stuart Highway checkpoint south of Darwin. Police started a pursuit, which was terminated soon afterwards. The white ute was again sighted about an hour later near Acacia Hills. Late on Saturday morning the vehicle reappeared north of the Katherine checkpoint, allegedly driving dangerously on the wrong side of the road. The man failed to stop at the checkpoint and police commenced a second pursuit, which was terminated north of the township. Six police vehicles followed the 4WD through Katherine before a tyre deflation device was successfully deployed. Police reports said the driver crashed into light vegetation at the checkpoint south of the town. Failing to abide by the chief health officers directions is a $5024 fine for an individual. Police have asked for any witnesses that may have seen or have dashcam footage of a single cab white utility driving dangerously to call 131 444. You can make an anonymous report through Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000. Quote reference number 9840379. Police pursue man twice after alleged Covid roadblock breaches FLOSS ADAMS Police at a Katherine Covid roadblock. KATHERINE CLUB GAINS REPRIEVE THE Katherine Club could reopen as early as Monday after originally fearing it might have to close the doors for a full 14 days. Manager Alison Vincent said it was a relief to hear the news late on Friday. After Covid-19 authorities obtained CCTV and information, the Katherine Club was reclassified from a close contact site to a casual contact site. Ten Katherine Club staff originally were to self-isolate for 14 days but the change means they are free to return to work when they have receive a negative Covid test. Overnight they contacted me to say only two of our staff were casual contacts, Ms Vincent said. It is good news for us. Ms Vincent said the Katherine Club now might be able to open on Monday if the 72-hour lockdown ended at midnight on Sunday. With 10 staff out in isolation we would have had to shut for the two weeks but it looks like we can open sooner, she said. Katherine Club duty manager Amanda Cox said when she first took the call from the Centres for Disease Control about the Covid case on Thursday night it was a shock. I knew I would have support from FLOSS ADAMS The empty streets of Katherine during the 72-hour lockdown that forced Katherine Club (right) manager Alison Vincent (left) to close the clubs doors. Picture: Amanda Parkinson HEALTH authorities are still trying to work out where the Top Ends Covid outbreak came from after the cluster grew to three on Saturday. A decision over whether to lift or extend Katherines lockdown and Darwins lock THOMAS MORGAN AND NATHANIEL CHAMBERS 04 SPORT TENNIS SUBSCRIPTIONS 1300 726 161 WEDNESDAY MARCH 18 2020 GOLDCOASTBULLETIN.COM.AU GOLDCOASTBULLETIN.COM.AU WEDNESDAY MARCH 18 2020 SUBSCRIPTIONS 1300 726 161 TENNIS SPORT 05 CORONAVIRUS FALLOUT 06 CORONAVIRUS CRISIS JOANNE Zhu never thought that by the age of 25 she would be a millionaire. But that dream became a reality after the Sydney woman got the unexpected call during her coffee break that she had won the milliondollar vaccine lottery on Friday. She was one of more than 2.74 million Australians who had received at least one dose of the Covid vaccine by the competition cut-off date and were in the running for the $1m cash prize. A group of philanthropists and corporations known as the Million Dollar Vax Alliance launched the hard-to-resist campaign in October in a bid to boost national vaccination rates. Ms Zhu celebrated her new wealth on Saturday as Australia hit the vaccine milestone of 80 per cent of eligible adults double jabbed. I was excited and in disbelief when they told me I had won. I cannot believe its true, she said. My family are all in China and when I told them I won last night they couldnt believe it either. They were so happy for me. Ms Zhu, who has lived in Australia for nearly a decade, said her family would be the first to benefit from the cash, as she gave back to the very people who supported me. My parents spent so much money to support me during my study here in Sydney, so I think I will buy them presents at the very least, she said. I want to also invite them to Sydney again to have a luxury trip when the borders open. And Ill spend the money also on travel, presents for myself, dinner and food for my friends. But I will also need to think about how to invest to make more money in my future so that one day I can have abilities to help more people that need help. The alliance has been handing out 100 gift cards every day worth $1000. Thanks a million, says vax winner ADELLA BEAINI $1m winner Joanne Zhu. SEARCH FOR Cluster grows to three as woman tests positive out is expected to be made on Sunday. Chief Minister Michael Gunner confirmed a woman who had flown from Cairns to Darwin on October 29 has tested positive to the virus. Health experts believe she was most likely infected in Darwin because she only developed symptoms on Sat urday. She spent time with the index case, a man in his 20s who visited several different locations, including Monsoons nightclub on Mitchell St. Popular spots such as the Jetty Restaurant and Snapper Rocks were added to the exposure site list on Friday night, with the confirmed cases visiting those locations on October 30. There are now 100 close contacts from high risk exposure sites, with NT Health contact tracers working to locate about 20 of those. In Katherine, where a number of busy locations including the Katherine Club and the local Woolworths have been deemed casual exposure sites, residents have turned out for testing. There were 309 tests done in Katherine and 990 in Darwin during the 24 hours to Saturday morning. After long wait times on Friday, especially in Katherine, acting chief health officer Charles Pain said capacity had
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are advised that this website may contain the names, voices and images of people who have died, as well as other culturally sensitive content. Please be aware that some collection items may use outdated phrases or words which reflect the attitude of the creator at the time, and are now considered offensive.
We use temporary cookies on this site to provide functionality.
You are welcome to provide further information or feedback about this item by emailing TerritoryStories@nt.gov.au