The Northern Territory news Mon 8 Nov 2021
The Northern Territory news; NewspaperNT
Community newspapers -- Northern Territory -- Darwin.; Australian newspapers -- Northern Territory -- Darwin.
News Corp Australia
Copyright. Made available by the publisher under licence.
News Corp Australia
14 WORLD MONDAY NOVEMBER 8 2021 NTNE01Z01MA - V1 R1 RIO DE JANEIRO: Thousands of people have flooded the hometown of late Brazilian country music star Marilia Mendonca, paying an emotional tribute to the beloved songstress after she was killed in a plane crash aged 26. Mendonca a Latin Grammy-winning superstar of Brazilian sertanejo music died with four other people on Friday when a small plane carrying her to a concert crashed in the southeastern state of Minas Gerais. Her body was on Saturday flown to the central city of Goiania, where huge crowds of distraught fans lined up to file past her white-lined casket before she was laid to rest. Known for her soaring voice and heart-rending songs, Mendonca managed to break into a country music scene long dominated by men and machismo. She was a leading figure in a burgeoning subgenre known as feminejo, or sertanejo music by women. But her massive fan base included men and women alike. Its an emotion so strong we dont even know how to express it. Its an immense pain, for all Brazilians, 22year-old Matheus Alves said. Fans started lining up at dawn outside the 15,000-ca pacity arena, where large floral arrangements arrived in a steady stream. About 100,000 people were expected to attend, according to Goias state Governor Ronaldo Caiado. The star and an uncle who worked with her who was also killed in the crash were later buried in a small private ceremony at a local cemetery, after a funeral cortege through the city. Brazil bids goodbye to beloved music star Marilia Mendonca ATTACK ON PM BAGHDAD: Iraqs Prime Minister Mustafa al-Kadhimi said he was fine and has called for calm and restraint after a drone attack on his residence in Baghdads Green Zone early Sunday. Im doing fine, praise be to God, and I call for calm and restraint on the part of everyone for the good of Iraq, Mr alKadhimi posted on Twitter, after the drone targeted his home. Mr al-Kadhimi was unharmed in the failed assassination attempt, his office said in a statement. A drone tried to target the residence of the premier, who was not injured. NEW YORK: An expert in false memories who has testified for Harvey Weinstein and OJ Simpson is being lined up by Ghislaine Maxwell as a defence witness at her forthcoming sex-trafficking trial. Lawyers for the British socialite also want to call on the expertise of a forensic psychiatrist who has previously examined the sanity of American mass murderers, including Jeffrey Dahmer, the cannibal serial killer, and Ted Kaczynski, the Unabomber. Professor Elizabeth Loftus (inset), the memory guru, and Dr Park Dietz, a psychiatrist, are on a list of eight potential expert witnesses Maxwell hopes will help prove her innocence, according to US court filings. The disclosures emerged as she prepares to go on trial in New York at the end of the month, in one of the worlds most eagerly a n t i c i p a t e d criminal cases. Maxwell, 59, is accused of grooming and trafficking girls as young as 14 as part of an international conspiracy involving her former boyfriend, Jeffrey Epstein, the late American billionaire paedophile. If she is convicted on all counts, Maxwell who has pleaded not guilty faces up to 80 years in prison. Loftus, 77, a cognitive psychologist, has appeared as an expert defence witness at more than 300 trials, including many high-profile sex abuse cases. She is a leading authority in a theory known as the misinformation effect, which examines how a persons memory can be altered by incorrect information they may have been given after an event, or by leading questions. She has also examined the issue of false memories. Loftus could be asked to challenge the evidence of at least four alleged victims of Maxwell who plan to testify in person in court during the sixweek trial. She was called by Weinsteins lawyers last year to cast doubt on the memory of actor Annabella Sciorra, who had accused him of rape. THE TIMES Memory guru to testify for Ghislaine HOUSTON: The crowd crush tragedy at US rapper Travis Scotts Astroworld music festival is now the subject of a criminal investigation amid fears scores of revellers may have been drugged. Houstons Police Chief Troy Finner and Fire Chief Samuel Pena said many people were treated with Narcan used to block the effects of opioids at NRG Park on Friday night. Chief Finner said a security officer might have been injected with drugs by an unknown person at the time of the crowd surge. One of the narratives (going around) was that some individual was injecting other people with drugs, he said. We do have a report of a security officer, according to the medical staff that treated him last night, that he was reaching over to restrain or grab a citizen and he felt a prick in his neck. Chief Finner said the officer was revived with Narcan a nasal spray used to treat suspected opioid overdoses and medical staff did notice a prick that was similar to what you would get if somebody was trying to inject. Eight people died at the concert including a 14-yearold with Scott continuing to perform as fans were swallowed up in a fatal crowd crush and stampede. The horrific event involving 50,000 concertgoers in Houston, Texas, was captured on video posted to social media, and fans were seen climbing on to the stage screaming: Stop the show. Theres someone dead. Another person cried out: People are f--king dying, I want to save somebodys life. Another video shows Scott singing on a podium as revellers were being attended to by police and paramedics. Of the other seven people who perished, Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner said one was 16, two were 21, one was 23, one was 27, and ones age still remains unknown. A child as young as 10 was also injured. Mr Turner said 25 people were taken to hospital, of which five were under the age of 18, and 13 are still recovering there. Nobody has been reported missing. Were not going to leave any stone unturned, he said. We want to look at every single detail to determine what led up to it and what additional steps that need to take place to keep it from happening again, especially in this city. Scott did stop his show several times when he spotted fans in distress near the stage. After the event he tweeted: I am absolutely devastated by what took place last night. My prayers go out to the families and all those impacted by what happened at Astroworld Festival. Scotts reality star girlfriend Kylie Jenner, who also attended the event, has copped further online backlash for posting a video of an ambulance tending to the injured and dead in the crowd as the chaos unfolded. Madeline Eskins, an ICU nurse who was also at the concert as a fan for the third annual festival, told FOX 26 the event was unlike anything she had seen before. It was absolutely insane, she said. Ive never seen anything like that in my life. I am disturbed. Honestly, it should have been stopped. SHOBA RAO Revellers drugged in concert tragedy Police Chief Troy Finner. Travis Scott performs at Astroworld (main) as the crowd surges and a man is resuscitated (insets). Pictures: WireImage, Twitter
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are advised that this website may contain the names, voices and images of people who have died, as well as other culturally sensitive content. Please be aware that some collection items may use outdated phrases or words which reflect the attitude of the creator at the time, and are now considered offensive.
We use temporary cookies on this site to provide functionality.
You are welcome to provide further information or feedback about this item by emailing TerritoryStories@nt.gov.au