The Northern Territory news Thu 7 Apr 2022
The Northern Territory news; NewspaperNT
Community newspapers -- Northern Territory -- Darwin.; Australian newspapers -- Northern Territory -- Darwin.
News Corp Australia
Copyright. Made available by the publisher under licence.
News Corp Australia
36 SPORT Thursday April 7 2022 NTNE01Z01MA - V1 Taylor Walker prepares to return for the Crows this weekend. Picture: Mark Brake TAYLOR Walker is preparing to play his first AFL game since the racism saga that rocked the Adelaide Crows 2021 campaign. In August, Walker was found to have targeted Indigenous SANFL player Robbie Young with a racist comment at a game in July last year. Walker was ordered to donate $20,000 to an Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Program in South Australia and suspended for six matches following the incident. The former Crows captain subsequently apologised to Young in a video uploaded online. On the field, the saga proved the final nail in the coffin for the Crows, who finished 15th in Matthew Nicks second season in charge. Walker served the final game of his suspension last week and both Nicks and Crows midfielder Rory Laird hinted following round 3 he could return to face Essendon on Sunday. I think Texan should come back in, I dont see why he wouldnt, hes done a stack of training and a stack of weights, and you know hes completely fit, and his body is fresh, so I dont see why he shouldnt play, Laird told SEN. On Wednesday, the Crows made it official and announced Walker would play his first game in more than eight months this weekend. Walkers return is set to create a selection headache for the Crows; both Elliott Himmelberg and Lachlan Gollant kicked four goals in last weeks Showdown defeat of Port Adelaide and will be unlucky to miss out. The Crows have the chance to record back-to-back wins for the first time in almost a year when they meet the Dons at Marvel Stadium. Essendon is one of only three teams yet to win a game in 2022, along with the Power and West Coast. Jasper Bruce FRESH WALKER back for crows Richardson backed Hinkley and the players to turn things around. Im the least surprised person at Port Adelaide by the criticism because Ive been in footy forever, the coach said before Thursday WANDERERS Football Club says it is comfortable with how Palmerston Football Club and the NTFL have dealt with incidents, on and off field, earlier this year. The incidents happened at a game in early February between the Eagles and Magpies, which resulted in police attending after the match. NT Police confirmed on Tuesday that investigations were continuing into an alleged altercation following the match on February 12 at Cazalys Arena. The game was part of the NO MORE round, which campaigns against domestic violence. Wanderers OK with probe Palmerston has also con ducted its review into alleged incidents during and after the match, but it is unclear if its findings have been made public. The club has been contacted for comment. Magpies player Desmond Corbett was banned by the leagues independent tribunal for 18 matches and deregistered, after pleading guilty to serious conduct in the game. In a statement to the NT News, Wanderers said they was satisfied with how Palmerston and the league handled the matter. In reference to any on-field or after-the-match incidents from that game we are comfortable with actions taken by the Palmerston Football Club and the NTFL, the statement read. We would like to say that the majority of players, volunteers and spectators from both clubs and the league were well behaved and reacted to any alleged incidents in a positive, proactive, safety-first manner. We remain confident that both the league and Palmerston Football Club will manage any further investigations or matters if required in their usual professional manner and wish them well for the upcoming 2022-23 season. Wanderers have always been and remain to be 100 per cent behind the NO MORE campaign. Ben Cameron PORT Adelaide coach Ken Hinkley says he understands supporter frustration and insists the team is sticking together as it tries to rebound from a 0-3 start to the season. Pressure on Hinkley increased after the Powers four-point Showdown defeat on Friday night and the winless opening has led some fans to lose faith in the 10year mentor. The coach, who is contracted until the end of 2023, says the criticism does not hurt or surprise him. In a letter to members on Tuesday night, Port Adelaide chief executive Matthew RICHMOND senior club advisor Neil Balme believes Dustin Martins love of football and the club will ultimately see him return to the game, saying he thinks it is not a matter of whether but when. But Balme stressed the Tigers fully supported Martins decision to take some time away from the club to deal with personal issues and would give him as much time as he needed. Martin has missed Richmonds past two matches a win over GWS and a loss to St Kilda with no timeline yet on a potential return, and some wondering if he wants to keep playing or retire. Balme told RSN Breakfast he is proud the Tigers are giving 30-year-old Martin as much time as he needs to work through his issues, confident he will repay the club. It is a personal issue for him that he has to get organised and we know he loves playing footy, so it is not a matter of whether, it is a matter of when, Balme said. The thing I am proud of about footy these days and our club particularly is that you take the person into account more than just the club. We know that if we do the right thing by him and allow him to work through his stuff, that when it is his turn, he will give back a lot more to us as well. If it were up to us, we would say today is the day (for him to return), but obviously there is a lot more going on than we can control. Balme said the club would give Martin as long as he needed to work through his personal issues, which include the death of his father Shane late last year. We are suffering for it (his absence) at the moment, but thats the price you pay, he said. If we could, would we make him play, but I am proud of the fact that we are letting him do that (take his time in his recovery). Balme, who is recovering from Covid, watched the Saints loss on television, but maintained the Tigers can still challenge this season, despite a 1-2 start to the year. Then all of a sudden, Grimesy (Dylan Grimes) hurts himself during the game, he said. I think (Dion) Prestia should be right to play (this week), Lamby (Kane Lambert) looks a lot closer, I think Jack (Riewoldt) will be right to play. (Nick) Vlastuin is getting a lot closer. It is no excuse, but it will make a bit of a difference. Tigers sure of Dustys return GLENN McFARLANE Dustin Martin. hinkley rallies troops nights home clash with Melbourne. I cant tell people how to feel, I can share their frustration. Were going to work as hard as we can to ease the frustration for them and for me, and for the players. The support from within is what we expect. Its a really, really connected football club inside and thats just what it has to be. The boys believe and we believe in each other, and well stick together. The Power will make one change to face the reigning premiers, bringing key defender Tom Clurey back to replace the injured Sam Skinner (ankle). MATT TURNER afl round 4 watch live port adel v melbourne adelaide oval thursday, 7.10pm PORT Adelaide coach Ken Hinkley says he understands supporter frustration and insists the team is sticking together as it tries to rebound from a 0-3 start to the season. Pressure on Hinkley increased after the Powers four-point Showdown defeat on Friday night and the winless opening has led some fans to lose faith in the 10year mentor. Hinkley, who is contracted until the end of 2023, says the criticism does not hurt or surprise him. In a letter to members on Tuesday night, Port Adelaide MATT TURNER