Territory Stories

The Northern Territory news Thurs 14 July 2022

Details:

Title

The Northern Territory news Thurs 14 July 2022

Other title

NT news

Collection

The Northern Territory news; NewspaperNT

Date

2022-07-14

Language

English

Subject

Community newspapers -- Northern Territory -- Darwin.; Australian newspapers -- Northern Territory -- Darwin.

Publisher name

News Corp Australia

Place of publication

Darwin

File type

application/pdf

Use

Copyright. Made available by the publisher under licence.

Copyright owner

News Corp Australia

License

https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/C2019C00042

Parent handle

https://hdl.handle.net/10070/886186

Citation address

https://hdl.handle.net/10070/886228

Page content

Thursday July 14 2022 NEWS 11 V1 - NTNE01Z01MA ANTHONY Albanese and his Solomon Islands counterpart have hugged as they met for the first time. The Australian Prime Minister greeted Manasseh Sogavare with open arms in the Fijian capital of Suva on Wednesday. I need a hug, Mr Sogavare said, as the two leaders embraced and then laughed. The two are in Suva to take part in the Pacific Islands Forum of political leaders from across the region. Their warm greeting, which was filmed by travelling media, comes in the wake of Solomon Islands controversial security pact with China. Part of their meeting was captured on camera, with Mr Albanese saying: The relationship between us is very important. I think that there is much more we can do to co-operate and to develop those relationships of trust and mutual understanding for our joint benefit. In response, Mr Sogavare said the relationship between Australia and Solomon Islands was a friendship that can grow and get stronger and stronger. It was their first in-person meeting after an introductory phone call late last month following the Australian federal election and resulting change of government. Mr Albanese has been critical of the way his predecessor Scott Morrison handled Australias relationship with its Pacific island neighbours, particularly given Beijings attempts to encroach further into the region. The controversial security deal between Solomon Islands and China was signed in the final weeks of the former federal governments tenure and sparked alarm among Western allies. Officials in Australia, New Zealand the US were concerned the agreement could provide a pathway to a permanent Chinese military presence in the Pacific. Hug for leader as Albo tries to mend relations Catie McLeod and Ellen Ransley Polanski rape case move Los Angeles: Prosecutors will no longer oppose the release of sealed transcripts in the statutory rape case against Roman Polanski documents which the fugitive director has previously argued could reveal judicial misconduct. George Gascon, the LA County district attorney, said his office had determined it to be in the interest of justice to agree to the unsealing of these transcripts. This case has been described by the courts as one of the longest-running sagas in California criminal justice history, Gascon said. For years, this office has fought the release of information that the victim and public have a right to know. In 1977, French-Polish director Polanski was arrested after 13-year-old Samantha Gailey accused him of forcibly sodomizing her. Fed Square terror jail term cut A CONVICTED terrorist who firebombed a mosque and plotted to behead gatherers at Federation Square will be freed from prison six years early after successfully appealing his sentence. Ahmed Mohamed, 29, was jailed for 38 years after he was convicted on terrorism offences for torching the Imam Ali Islamic Centre in Fawkner and for planning to slaughter people with machetes and deton ate bombs strapped to his body at Federation Square on Christmas Day. The jihadist appealed his lengthy jail term at the Victorian Court of Appeal, arguing he deserved a reduction on his crushing sentence because hed renounced his extremist ideology and had increased his rehabilitation prospects. On Wednesday, Court of Appeal judges Chris Maxwell, Karin Emerton and Michael Sifris agreed, finding Mohamed had taken steps to deradicalise. The applicant took the unusual course of giving evidence at his own plea hearing, renouncing Islamic State and violent jihad, they said in their judgment. Mohameds sentence was reduced from 38 years to 32, while his non-parole period was cut from 28 years to 24. Voller found with drugs TROUBLED high-profile former Don Dale youth detention centre detainee Dylan Voller was caught in possession of marijuana after a dramatic scene at his lawyers office where he charged at police with scissors. The 25-year-old was due to face Sydneys Downing Centre Local Court on Wednesday where he was set to be sentenced for drug possession. He pleaded guilty to the charge of drug possession in May, but failed to turn up to court on Wednesday, causing a delay in his sentence. According to court documents, Voller came to the attention of police after he began to act aggressively at the OBrien solicitors office in Sydneys CBD. According to police facts, Voller was holding scissors when he confronted police who were called to the office, as the door to the elevator they arrived in opened up. Police said Voller held the scissors to his throat and repeatedly told officers to pull out their guns. Shoot me, he said, according to court documents. Shoot me or Ill run at youse. According to court documents, police pulled out a taser, but did not need to use it after officers successfully calmed Voller down. Ive got one stick of marijuana, he later told officers, who charged Voller with one count of possess prohibited drug. The stick weighed 0.83 grams and Voller pleaded guilty when he faced Sydneys Central Local Court in May. He was also charged with assaulting a woman in April, but it was adjourned to the same date in August for an application to have it dismissed on mental health grounds. Voller will also seek to have an AVO revoked on the same date. Voller attracted national media attention in 2016 after footage of him being restrained at the Don Dale centre in the NT aired on the ABC and triggered a royal commission into the abuse of children in detention. In an opinion piece published by SBS in November 2021, Voller said he did not want to just be known as the boy in a restraint chair. I want to be known as a young man, a survivor, that broke out of a system like that and continues to fight, he said.Dylan Voller failed to show up for court on Wednesday. Picture: NCA NewsWire Lauren Ferri no-show at court, sentencing delayed Dylan Voller was strapped to a chair like this in Don Dale.


Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are advised that this website may contain the names, voices and images of people who have died, as well as other culturally sensitive content. Please be aware that some collection items may use outdated phrases or words which reflect the attitude of the creator at the time, and are now considered offensive.

We use temporary cookies on this site to provide functionality.
By continuing to use this site without changing your settings, you consent to our use of cookies.