Territory Stories

The Northern Territory news Thurs 14 July 2022

Details:

Title

The Northern Territory news Thurs 14 July 2022

Other title

NT news

Collection

The Northern Territory news; NewspaperNT

Date

2022-07-14

Language

English

Subject

Community newspapers -- Northern Territory -- Darwin.; Australian newspapers -- Northern Territory -- Darwin.

Publisher name

News Corp Australia

Place of publication

Darwin

File type

application/pdf

Use

Copyright. Made available by the publisher under licence.

Copyright owner

News Corp Australia

License

https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/C2019C00042

Parent handle

https://hdl.handle.net/10070/886186

Citation address

https://hdl.handle.net/10070/886228

Page content

12 WORLD Thursday July 14 2022 NTNE01Z01MA - V1 R1 Footage from the Robb Elementary School shows police running away in fear from the gunman as he slaughtered children at the end of the corridor. AUSTIN: Leaked footage shows how police offers at the scene of the mass shooting at a Texas primary school ran away from the gunfire to protect themselves rather than try to engage the shooter and save the lives of the terrified little children. Video obtained by The AustinAmerican Statesman newspaper shows horrifying details of the police officers failed and fatal response to the shooting at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde in May. Gunman Salvador Ramos, 18, fired more than 100 rounds at children in two classrooms, killing 19 students and two teachers. The Statesman reported the 77minute video recording shows in excruciating detail how dozens of sworn officers walked back and forth in the hallway, made phone calls and sent texts but did not enter or attempt to enter the classrooms where the children were being shot. The officers arrived on the scene just three minutes after Ramos entered the building, news channel KVUE reported, and are seen running in the direction of the classrooms but they turn around and flee as soon as they hear gunshots. For over an hour, none of the officers entered the classrooms. Instead, they continued to stand around doing nothing, with one officer wearing a helmet and a ballistic vest even pausing to squirt hand sanitiser from a wall-mounted dispenser and rub his hands together. PROOF THAT Cowardly cops let children die COLOMBO: Sri Lankas embattled President Gotabaya Rajapaksa has landed in the neighbouring Maldives after fleeing the country amid mass protests and the sacking of his presidential palace. The 73-year-old leader, his wife and a bodyguard were driven under police escort to an undisclosed location after they arrived in a military Antonov-32 aircraft from Sri Lanka, an airport official said. Colombo Airport officials said the aircraft was held up for over an hour on the tarmac without being able to take off following confusion over whether it had permission to land in the Maldives. There were some anxious moments, but in the end everything worked out OK, an airport official said, asking not to be named. Many of the Presidents entourage did not travel with him on the aircraft, he added. They had travelled to the airport with the President (pictured) on Monday to board a flight to Dubai, but were turned back after a tense standoff over stamping their passports through a VIP service. Mr Rajapaksa had earlier promised to announce his resignation on Wednesday, saying he wanted to allow a peaceful transition of power. But he was yet to send his resignation letter to Sri Lankas parliamentary speaker before fleeing the country. The embattled President fled from his official residence in the capital on Saturday after tens of thousands of angry protesters stormed it, following months of demonstrations calling for his resignation over the countrys worst-ever economic crisis. He had wanted to travel abroad while he still enjoyed immunity from prosecution before stepping down as President to avoid the possibility of being detained. His previous attempts to arrange a military flight to Sri Lankas closest neighbour India failed as clearance for a military aircraft to land in a civilian airport was not given by New Delhi. President has fled and wont be missed Trumps Jan 6 tweet was a call to violence WASHINGTON: Members of right-wing militia groups and other supporters of Donald Trump stormed the US Capitol after a tweet from the former president was seen as a call to arms, an inquiry into the riot has heard. The tweet on December 19, 2020, urging his supporters to descend on Washington on January 6 for a rally he promised would be wild was sent an hour after Mr Trump met at the White House with lawyers Rudy Giuliani and Sidney Powell and former general Mike Flynn for a meeting one aide described as unhinged. During its seventh televised public hearing, the house committee looking into the January 6 riot, in which at least five people died, examined the impact of the tweet. Committee member Jamie Raskin said Mr Trumps 1.42am tweet electrified and galvanised his supporters, especially the dangerous extremists in the Oath Keepers, the Proud Boys and other racist and white nationalist groups spoiling for a fight. Members of the Proud Boys and the Oath Keepers stormed congress on January 6 along with thousands of other Trump loyalists in an attempt to block certification of Democrat Joe Bidens presidential election victory, which Mr Trump falsely claims was marred by fraud. Representative Stephanie Murphy, another committee member, said the tweet served as a call to action, and in some cases as a call to arms, for many of president Trumps most loyal supporters. The committee said two of Mr Trumps closest backers, Flynn and political consultant Roger Stone, had connections to the Oath Keepers group. The committee also said the march to the Capitol was planned in advance but Mr Trump decided not to announce it until the speech he made to supporters on the morning of January 6 near the White House. The evidence confirms that this was not a spontaneous call to action, but rather was a deliberate strategy decided in advance by the president, Ms Murphy said. Representative Liz Cheney, vice chair of the committee investigating the attack, said that the 76-year-old Trump had recently attempted to contact a committee witness. The witness, who was not identified, did not take the call from Mr Trump and alerted their lawyer, Ms Cheney said, adding that the committee has supplied that information to the Department of Justice. Donald Trump. Queen all smiles, but Harry looms LONDON: The Queen has returned to light royal duties at Windsor Castle amid revelations and some concerns that Prince Harry is due to make a major speech in New York. After her gruelling tour of Scotland, the 96-year-old was joined by Prince Charles to award the George Cross to the National Health Service for its work during the Covid pandemic. The monarch met NHS leaders and healthcare workers at the event, joking with May Parsons, the nurse who delivered the worlds first Covid-19 vaccine outside of clinical trials to Maggie Keenan on December 8, 2020. When told about the nurses historic first, the Queen quipped: Youre still alive? The nurse told the Queen: Were terribly, terribly proud of the vaccination rollout, it was so successful. The Queen replied: Yes, it was amazing. It comes as the UN revealed Harry would be joined by Meghan for their first public appearance since the Platinum Jubilee. The Duke and Duchess of Sussex will appear before an informal General Assembly gathering in New York as part of Nelson Mandela Day next week, according to a UN spokesman. The speech, reported to touch on climate change and world hunger, will be the second appearance at the UN General Assembly after their visit in September 2021.Her Majesty. 8 billion mouths to feed ROME: The worlds population will reach eight billion this year, and India is poised to overtake China as the most populous nation next year, according to a UN report. The report says although global growth has slowed as fertility rates have slipped, the number of humans on Earth would hit eight billion on November 15 hailing it as a reason for celebration. According to the World Population Prospects 2022 report, India will overtake China as the worlds most populous nation next year, adding 12 million people in 12 months to reach 1.429 billion. China, the most populous nation for decades, will be on 1.426 billion. Overall, the global population is growing at its slowest since 1950, slipping below 1 per cent in 2020, with women having an average of 2.3 kids, down from five in 1950. The London Times


Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are advised that this website may contain the names, voices and images of people who have died, as well as other culturally sensitive content. Please be aware that some collection items may use outdated phrases or words which reflect the attitude of the creator at the time, and are now considered offensive.

We use temporary cookies on this site to provide functionality.
By continuing to use this site without changing your settings, you consent to our use of cookies.